Although tomatoes are technically a fruit, they are usually prepared as vegetables and many people think that they are vegetables. Whether you call them fruit or vegetable, they are definitely a great addition to your diet. They offer beta carotene and plenty of vitamin C as well.
In fact, they are becoming more well known for the amount of lycopene that they contain, which is thought to help decrease the risk of prostate cancer in men. Lycopene is an antioxidant, which is definitely beneficial to both men and women alike.
You will quickly find that there are many different varieties of tomatoes to choose from today. Cherry tomatoes are very small, about the size of cherries. Plum tomatoes are a bit larger than the cherry tomatoes and very tasty.
Slicing tomatoes usually encompass a variety of larger red tomatoes like “on the vine” or “beefsteak” tomatoes. Yellow tomatoes are available, and heirloom tomatoes can be found in a variety of different colors and unique shapes. You may want to have some fun experimenting with the different types of tomatoes available.
When you are selecting your tomatoes, avoid those being stored in cold areas, since the cold causes damage to the tomatoes. Look for tomatoes that have smooth skins and that are very plump. Avoid any that have blemishes, cracks, or bruises.
Depending on the variety you are choosing, they may be reddish-orange, red, or even yellow. Tomatoes should be stored at room temperature until they are totally ripe. Avoid storing in sunlight or they may ripen unevenly. After they have ripened, you can store them in the refrigerator.
There are so many different ways to add tomatoes to your diet. They are a great addition to an omelet, a sandwich, or even your salad. They offer great texture, flavor, or wonderful colors as well. You can also enjoy them by stewing them, grilling, stuffing, or even baking them.
They are excellent in various homemade sauces and soups and go great in a variety of different pasta dishes. Try combining them with other vegetables or add them to rice, poultry, fish, and more. You can even use them with other ingredients to make a tasty salsa to enjoy with chips or veggies.
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups of diced tomatoes or 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce (which comes from canned chipotle peppers)
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh tarragon, chopped
- ¼ cup of minced white or green onion (or some of each)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- Toss together the bell pepper, tomatoes, adobo sauce, cilantro, tarragon, onion, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Refrigerate in a covered dish for a least an hour.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips.
This is such an easy condiment to make. It is based on tomatoes and we are also using bell pepper, onion, fresh herbs and a little balsamic vinegar, along with some adobo sauce. In line with most Mexican condiments, this one is based on fresh ingredients. Although you can, at a pinch, swap the fresh tomatoes for canned ones, we recommend using fresh tomatoes for a more authentic result. Serve this as a dip for corn chips or tortilla chips, or enjoy it alongside a grilled steak, perhaps with steamed vegetables on the side too, and a baked potato, to make a hearty meal.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76106 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43165 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36219 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25520 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (22858 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (20079 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19726 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (18206 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17783 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (16042 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013