This unusual recipe shows you how to cook duck in a crockpot. A lot of people are reluctant to cook fowl in the slow cooker because it does not require tenderizing like chicken and the fat can go soggy to. To avoid this, you can either remove the fat or make sure the duck is balanced on top of something else like a rack, some thickly sliced potatoes or, like in the following crockpot duck recipe, some whole baby carrots. This keeps the fat out of the hot liquid and stops it from becoming soggy.
Something else you can do if you want is to remove the duck breasts from the crockpot when they are cooked through and finish them off in the oven or under the broiler to get the skin really crispy. This duck recipe features a sweet, nutty sauce with two kinds of nuts, orange and port wine, as well as pear halves. You can serve this with mashed potatoes, fries or boiled potatoes. Rice would also work.
Duck costs more than other kinds of fowl such as chicken but it is nice for a special occasion. Perhaps somebody has given you some wild duck, in which case you can use that. Hopefully they will have removed the feathers and insides for you! Duck is naturally juicy and rich-flavored, and orange zest or juice is used in a lot of duck recipes, because it complements the strong flavor of the bird so well.
- 4 duck breasts
- ½ cup orange juice
- 8 baby carrots, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 10 cashews
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 halved peeled pears
- ¼ cup currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Arrange the carrots and then the duck breasts in a crockpot.
- Sauté the onion in the butter in a pan, then add the orange juice, salt, jelly, and orange peel.
- Cook until the jelly melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the port wine and nuts.
- Pour this sauce over the duck and put the pear halves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
You can tell this is an unusual dish by looking at the picture. If you enjoy the sweetness of traditional duck in orange sauce but you want to make it in a crockpot, this recipe also features nuts, berry jelly, pears and more, so it works perfectly in a slow cooker. Feel free to remove the skin before you begin, or else you can crisp it up under the broiler later. The texture of slow-cooked duck is like the texture of slow-cooked beef, but of course you still get the typical duck flavor along with the juicy softness, making this a tantalizing recipe to prepare. This crockpot duck recipe is very easy and you can use wild duck to make it or prepared duck breasts from the supermarket.
Leave a Reply
- Wine Around the World July 7, 2014
- Wine 101 – Which Wine to Pick in a Restaurant July 7, 2014
- What is a Wine Aerator and Do You Need One? July 7, 2014
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sweet Red Wine July 7, 2014
- Wine Making Equipment for Homemade Wine July 7, 2014
- Spanish Wine Information – Grape Varieties in Spain July 7, 2014
- The Main White Wine Types of France July 7, 2014
- Traditional Gifts for Wine Lovers July 7, 2014
- Can You Age New World Wines in Wine Cellars? July 7, 2014
- How to Make Your Own Wine Labels July 7, 2014
- The Best Types of Wines to Age in a Wine Cellar July 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Information on a Wine Label July 7, 2014
- Wine Cork Crafts – How to Reuse Wine Corks July 7, 2014
- Some Ideas for Beautiful Unique Wine Glasses July 7, 2014
- Home (49114 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (40490 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (26093 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (12939 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (10604 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (9086 Views)
- Spicy Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipes (8897 Views)
- Gourmet Bacon Wrapped Hamburger (7976 Views)
- Simple Comfort Food – Crockpot Sloppy Joes (7851 Views)
- Slow Cooker Recipe Chicken Piccata (6902 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (6865 Views)
- Juicy Turkey Meatloaf in Crockpot (6173 Views)
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo (5526 Views)
- How to Make Juicy Hamburger Patties (5339 Views)
- Crockpot Swiss Steak Recipes (5081 Views)
- Best Crockpot Liver and Onions (5033 Views)
- Homemade Turkey Brine Recipe (4975 Views)
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013
- VegetarianSeptember 29, 2013
- ZucchiniSeptember 29, 2013
- VeggiesSeptember 29, 2013
- TomatoesSeptember 29, 2013