This unusual recipe shows you how to cook duck in a crockpot. A lot of people are reluctant to cook fowl in the slow cooker because it does not require tenderizing like chicken and the fat can go soggy to. To avoid this, you can either remove the fat or make sure the duck is balanced on top of something else like a rack, some thickly sliced potatoes or, like in the following crockpot duck recipe, some whole baby carrots. This keeps the fat out of the hot liquid and stops it from becoming soggy.
Something else you can do if you want is to remove the duck breasts from the crockpot when they are cooked through and finish them off in the oven or under the broiler to get the skin really crispy. This duck recipe features a sweet, nutty sauce with two kinds of nuts, orange and port wine, as well as pear halves. You can serve this with mashed potatoes, fries or boiled potatoes. Rice would also work.
Duck costs more than other kinds of fowl such as chicken but it is nice for a special occasion. Perhaps somebody has given you some wild duck, in which case you can use that. Hopefully they will have removed the feathers and insides for you! Duck is naturally juicy and rich-flavored, and orange zest or juice is used in a lot of duck recipes, because it complements the strong flavor of the bird so well.
- 4 duck breasts
- ½ cup orange juice
- 8 baby carrots, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 10 cashews
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 halved peeled pears
- ¼ cup currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Arrange the carrots and then the duck breasts in a crockpot.
- Sauté the onion in the butter in a pan, then add the orange juice, salt, jelly, and orange peel.
- Cook until the jelly melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the port wine and nuts.
- Pour this sauce over the duck and put the pear halves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
You can tell this is an unusual dish by looking at the picture. If you enjoy the sweetness of traditional duck in orange sauce but you want to make it in a crockpot, this recipe also features nuts, berry jelly, pears and more, so it works perfectly in a slow cooker. Feel free to remove the skin before you begin, or else you can crisp it up under the broiler later. The texture of slow-cooked duck is like the texture of slow-cooked beef, but of course you still get the typical duck flavor along with the juicy softness, making this a tantalizing recipe to prepare. This crockpot duck recipe is very easy and you can use wild duck to make it or prepared duck breasts from the supermarket.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Barbecue Baked Chicken Recipes
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast
- Halloween Dinosaur Eggs
- Persian Crockpot Chicken Recipes with Pomegranate
- One of the Best Veal Stew Recipes with Herbs
- Slow Cooker Recipe Chicken Piccata
- Slow Cooker Easy Creamed Corn Recipe
- Indian Style Lentils and Rhubarb
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla
- Easy Chicken Curry in the Crockpot
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe December 22, 2013
- Chicken Ranch Pizza Recipe December 22, 2013
- Greek Chicken Wrap Recipe December 22, 2013
- Chicken and Broccoli Recipes December 21, 2013
- Mushroom Swiss Burger Recipe December 21, 2013
- Peanut Butter Marinade For Chicken December 21, 2013
- Recipe for Meatball Pizza December 21, 2013
- Good Mexican Desserts December 21, 2013
- Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe December 21, 2013
- Delicious Jerk Chicken Recipe December 20, 2013
- Baked Omelet Recipe December 16, 2013
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe December 16, 2013
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (39794 Views)
- Home (39266 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (20498 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (8426 Views)
- Spicy Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipes (8134 Views)
- Simple Comfort Food – Crockpot Sloppy Joes (6832 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (6431 Views)
- Slow Cooker Recipe Chicken Piccata (5317 Views)
- Juicy Turkey Meatloaf in Crockpot (5303 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (4894 Views)