This unusual recipe shows you how to cook duck in a crockpot. A lot of people are reluctant to cook fowl in the slow cooker because it does not require tenderizing like chicken and the fat can go soggy to. To avoid this, you can either remove the fat or make sure the duck is balanced on top of something else like a rack, some thickly sliced potatoes or, like in the following crockpot duck recipe, some whole baby carrots. This keeps the fat out of the hot liquid and stops it from becoming soggy.
Something else you can do if you want is to remove the duck breasts from the crockpot when they are cooked through and finish them off in the oven or under the broiler to get the skin really crispy. This duck recipe features a sweet, nutty sauce with two kinds of nuts, orange and port wine, as well as pear halves. You can serve this with mashed potatoes, fries or boiled potatoes. Rice would also work.
Duck costs more than other kinds of fowl such as chicken but it is nice for a special occasion. Perhaps somebody has given you some wild duck, in which case you can use that. Hopefully they will have removed the feathers and insides for you! Duck is naturally juicy and rich-flavored, and orange zest or juice is used in a lot of duck recipes, because it complements the strong flavor of the bird so well.
- 4 duck breasts
- ½ cup orange juice
- 8 baby carrots, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 10 cashews
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 halved peeled pears
- ¼ cup currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Arrange the carrots and then the duck breasts in a crockpot.
- Sauté the onion in the butter in a pan, then add the orange juice, salt, jelly, and orange peel.
- Cook until the jelly melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the port wine and nuts.
- Pour this sauce over the duck and put the pear halves on top.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
You can tell this is an unusual dish by looking at the picture. If you enjoy the sweetness of traditional duck in orange sauce but you want to make it in a crockpot, this recipe also features nuts, berry jelly, pears and more, so it works perfectly in a slow cooker. Feel free to remove the skin before you begin, or else you can crisp it up under the broiler later. The texture of slow-cooked duck is like the texture of slow-cooked beef, but of course you still get the typical duck flavor along with the juicy softness, making this a tantalizing recipe to prepare. This crockpot duck recipe is very easy and you can use wild duck to make it or prepared duck breasts from the supermarket.
Leave a Reply
- Popular Breakfast Foods February 19, 2015
- Frankenfood Should We Really be Worried? November 24, 2014
- Poverty the American Shame November 23, 2014
- The State of Poverty and Food in America November 23, 2014
- Thanksgiving Then and Now November 22, 2014
- The Anatomy of a Day-After Turkey Sandwich November 21, 2014
- How to Make a Homemade Hamburger August 30, 2014
- Asian Beef Salad Recipe August 30, 2014
- One of the Best Chicken Parmesan Recipes August 27, 2014
- How to Make Brined Roast Turkey Recipes August 26, 2014
- Indulgent Chocolate Dessert Recipes with Nuts August 25, 2014
- Baked Ham and Potato Gratin August 24, 2014
- Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Recipes August 23, 2014
- Wine Around the World July 7, 2014
- Wine 101 – Which Wine to Pick in a Restaurant July 7, 2014
- What is a Wine Aerator and Do You Need One? July 7, 2014
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sweet Red Wine July 7, 2014
- Wine Making Equipment for Homemade Wine July 7, 2014
- Home (69367 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (41349 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (31544 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (17208 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (13745 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (12079 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (12049 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (11556 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (9992 Views)
- Slow Cooker Recipe Chicken Piccata (9874 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013