Liver and onions is a classic “comfort food” dish, featuring tasty, tender liver, juicy onions and a rich brown gravy. Liver is often cooked quickly in a skillet but you can also achieve good results by slow-cooking it.
The following recipe features bacon for extra meatiness, mushrooms (leave these out if you prefer) and onion. You can use two or even three onions if you want. When you slow-cook onions, they tend to cook down a lot. Serve the finished liver and onions recipe with crunchy fresh salad vegetables if you want a contrast, or mashed potatoes, or even both.
Some people like to soak liver in milk for an hour or two before cooking it. The reason for this is that it takes away the liver flavor, so if you are not keen on the rich flavor of liver you might want to give this a try. If you do like the strong flavor of liver though, do not soak it in milk, because it does take a lot of the taste away.
- 4 large slices of liver
- 4 slices of bacon
- 7 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Fresh sliced tomatoes and bell pepper for garnish (optional)
- Fry the bacon and chop it.
- Stir the salt and black pepper into the flour and put it in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the liver in the seasoned flour and fry it in the bacon grease for 30 seconds per side.
- Add it to the crockpot with the bacon, mushrooms, onion, and water.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours in the crockpot on low or until tender.
- Add more water to the gravy in the crockpot if it is too thick, or leave it, as it is if you want it thick.
- Serve the liver and onions in the gravy, perhaps with some fresh salad veggies on top as a garnish.
There are two reasons for serving crunchy fresh vegetables with the liver and onions, as shown in the picture. First, this gives a nice flavor and texture contrast to the dish, and second it makes an otherwise bland-looking meal look vibrant and colorful. Other popular sides for liver and onions are mashed potatoes or fries. This easy crockpot recipe for liver will convert liver-haters to liver fans. Why not give it a try? You can use cow, pig or lamb liver, and liver is usually really cheap. In addition, it is healthy and offers a lot of nutrients, including vitamin B12, folate, copper, zinc, niacin, and others.
Leave a Reply
- Popular Breakfast Foods February 19, 2015
- Frankenfood Should We Really be Worried? November 24, 2014
- Poverty the American Shame November 23, 2014
- The State of Poverty and Food in America November 23, 2014
- Thanksgiving Then and Now November 22, 2014
- The Anatomy of a Day-After Turkey Sandwich November 21, 2014
- How to Make a Homemade Hamburger August 30, 2014
- Asian Beef Salad Recipe August 30, 2014
- One of the Best Chicken Parmesan Recipes August 27, 2014
- How to Make Brined Roast Turkey Recipes August 26, 2014
- Indulgent Chocolate Dessert Recipes with Nuts August 25, 2014
- Baked Ham and Potato Gratin August 24, 2014
- Traditional Stuffed Cabbage Recipes August 23, 2014
- Wine Around the World July 7, 2014
- Wine 101 – Which Wine to Pick in a Restaurant July 7, 2014
- What is a Wine Aerator and Do You Need One? July 7, 2014
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sweet Red Wine July 7, 2014
- Wine Making Equipment for Homemade Wine July 7, 2014
- Home (51528 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (40767 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (26560 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (13196 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (10947 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (10599 Views)
- Spicy Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipes (9168 Views)
- Gourmet Bacon Wrapped Hamburger (8266 Views)
- Simple Comfort Food – Crockpot Sloppy Joes (8142 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (8119 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013