Liver and onions is a classic “comfort food” dish, featuring tasty, tender liver, juicy onions and a rich brown gravy. Liver is often cooked quickly in a skillet but you can also achieve good results by slow-cooking it.
The following recipe features bacon for extra meatiness, mushrooms (leave these out if you prefer) and onion. You can use two or even three onions if you want. When you slow-cook onions, they tend to cook down a lot. Serve the finished liver and onions recipe with crunchy fresh salad vegetables if you want a contrast, or mashed potatoes, or even both.
Some people like to soak liver in milk for an hour or two before cooking it. The reason for this is that it takes away the liver flavor, so if you are not keen on the rich flavor of liver you might want to give this a try. If you do like the strong flavor of liver though, do not soak it in milk, because it does take a lot of the taste away.
- 4 large slices of liver
- 4 slices of bacon
- 7 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Fresh sliced tomatoes and bell pepper for garnish (optional)
- Fry the bacon and chop it.
- Stir the salt and black pepper into the flour and put it in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the liver in the seasoned flour and fry it in the bacon grease for 30 seconds per side.
- Add it to the crockpot with the bacon, mushrooms, onion, and water.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours in the crockpot on low or until tender.
- Add more water to the gravy in the crockpot if it is too thick, or leave it, as it is if you want it thick.
- Serve the liver and onions in the gravy, perhaps with some fresh salad veggies on top as a garnish.
There are two reasons for serving crunchy fresh vegetables with the liver and onions, as shown in the picture. First, this gives a nice flavor and texture contrast to the dish, and second it makes an otherwise bland-looking meal look vibrant and colorful. Other popular sides for liver and onions are mashed potatoes or fries. This easy crockpot recipe for liver will convert liver-haters to liver fans. Why not give it a try? You can use cow, pig or lamb liver, and liver is usually really cheap. In addition, it is healthy and offers a lot of nutrients, including vitamin B12, folate, copper, zinc, niacin, and others.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 03-10-16
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (75584 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (42805 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (35396 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (23676 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (19484 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (18033 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (16962 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (16410 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (16236 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (15136 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013