Liver and onions is a classic “comfort food” dish, featuring tasty, tender liver, juicy onions and a rich brown gravy. Liver is often cooked quickly in a skillet but you can also achieve good results by slow-cooking it.
The following recipe features bacon for extra meatiness, mushrooms (leave these out if you prefer) and onion. You can use two or even three onions if you want. When you slow-cook onions, they tend to cook down a lot. Serve the finished liver and onions recipe with crunchy fresh salad vegetables if you want a contrast, or mashed potatoes, or even both.
Some people like to soak liver in milk for an hour or two before cooking it. The reason for this is that it takes away the liver flavor, so if you are not keen on the rich flavor of liver you might want to give this a try. If you do like the strong flavor of liver though, do not soak it in milk, because it does take a lot of the taste away.
- 4 large slices of liver
- 4 slices of bacon
- 7 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Fresh sliced tomatoes and bell pepper for garnish (optional)
- Fry the bacon and chop it.
- Stir the salt and black pepper into the flour and put it in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the liver in the seasoned flour and fry it in the bacon grease for 30 seconds per side.
- Add it to the crockpot with the bacon, mushrooms, onion, and water.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours in the crockpot on low or until tender.
- Add more water to the gravy in the crockpot if it is too thick, or leave it, as it is if you want it thick.
- Serve the liver and onions in the gravy, perhaps with some fresh salad veggies on top as a garnish.
There are two reasons for serving crunchy fresh vegetables with the liver and onions, as shown in the picture. First, this gives a nice flavor and texture contrast to the dish, and second it makes an otherwise bland-looking meal look vibrant and colorful. Other popular sides for liver and onions are mashed potatoes or fries. This easy crockpot recipe for liver will convert liver-haters to liver fans. Why not give it a try? You can use cow, pig or lamb liver, and liver is usually really cheap. In addition, it is healthy and offers a lot of nutrients, including vitamin B12, folate, copper, zinc, niacin, and others.
Leave a Reply
- Wine Around the World July 7, 2014
- Wine 101 – Which Wine to Pick in a Restaurant July 7, 2014
- What is a Wine Aerator and Do You Need One? July 7, 2014
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sweet Red Wine July 7, 2014
- Wine Making Equipment for Homemade Wine July 7, 2014
- Spanish Wine Information – Grape Varieties in Spain July 7, 2014
- The Main White Wine Types of France July 7, 2014
- Traditional Gifts for Wine Lovers July 7, 2014
- Can You Age New World Wines in Wine Cellars? July 7, 2014
- How to Make Your Own Wine Labels July 7, 2014
- The Best Types of Wines to Age in a Wine Cellar July 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Information on a Wine Label July 7, 2014
- Wine Cork Crafts – How to Reuse Wine Corks July 7, 2014
- Some Ideas for Beautiful Unique Wine Glasses July 7, 2014
- Home (49377 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (40517 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (26195 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (12977 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (10678 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (9218 Views)
- Spicy Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipes (8929 Views)
- Gourmet Bacon Wrapped Hamburger (8023 Views)
- Simple Comfort Food – Crockpot Sloppy Joes (7886 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (6986 Views)
- Slow Cooker Recipe Chicken Piccata (6934 Views)
- Juicy Turkey Meatloaf in Crockpot (6200 Views)
- Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo (5593 Views)
- How to Make Juicy Hamburger Patties (5378 Views)
- Crockpot Swiss Steak Recipes (5128 Views)
- Best Crockpot Liver and Onions (5063 Views)
- Homemade Turkey Brine Recipe (5031 Views)
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013
- VegetarianSeptember 29, 2013
- ZucchiniSeptember 29, 2013
- VeggiesSeptember 29, 2013
- TomatoesSeptember 29, 2013