Liver and onions is a classic “comfort food” dish, featuring tasty, tender liver, juicy onions and a rich brown gravy. Liver is often cooked quickly in a skillet but you can also achieve good results by slow-cooking it.
The following recipe features bacon for extra meatiness, mushrooms (leave these out if you prefer) and onion. You can use two or even three onions if you want. When you slow-cook onions, they tend to cook down a lot. Serve the finished liver and onions recipe with crunchy fresh salad vegetables if you want a contrast, or mashed potatoes, or even both.
Some people like to soak liver in milk for an hour or two before cooking it. The reason for this is that it takes away the liver flavor, so if you are not keen on the rich flavor of liver you might want to give this a try. If you do like the strong flavor of liver though, do not soak it in milk, because it does take a lot of the taste away.
- 4 large slices of liver
- 4 slices of bacon
- 7 oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Fresh sliced tomatoes and bell pepper for garnish (optional)
- Fry the bacon and chop it.
- Stir the salt and black pepper into the flour and put it in a shallow dish.
- Dredge the liver in the seasoned flour and fry it in the bacon grease for 30 seconds per side.
- Add it to the crockpot with the bacon, mushrooms, onion, and water.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours in the crockpot on low or until tender.
- Add more water to the gravy in the crockpot if it is too thick, or leave it, as it is if you want it thick.
- Serve the liver and onions in the gravy, perhaps with some fresh salad veggies on top as a garnish.
There are two reasons for serving crunchy fresh vegetables with the liver and onions, as shown in the picture. First, this gives a nice flavor and texture contrast to the dish, and second it makes an otherwise bland-looking meal look vibrant and colorful. Other popular sides for liver and onions are mashed potatoes or fries. This easy crockpot recipe for liver will convert liver-haters to liver fans. Why not give it a try? You can use cow, pig or lamb liver, and liver is usually really cheap. In addition, it is healthy and offers a lot of nutrients, including vitamin B12, folate, copper, zinc, niacin, and others.
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Easy Food for Superbowl January 12, 2016
- Most Unusual Finger Food for Superbowl Party January 10, 2016
- Need Dinner Inspiration? Try Easy Fish Recipes January 8, 2016
- How Soon Does Food Poisoning Affect the Body? January 5, 2016
- Garlicky Salmon and Cod Fishcakes with Corn January 4, 2016
- Gourmet Blue Cheese and Pear Salad with a Tangy Orange Dressing January 2, 2016
- A Very Happy Thanksgiving from Recipe Publishing Network November 26, 2015
- Green Apple, Walnut and Celery Stuffing November 26, 2015
- Easy Honey-Roasted Squash November 25, 2015
- Heart-Shaped Cranberry Orange Muffins November 24, 2015
- Pecan Pumpkin Mini Tarts November 23, 2015
- Vegetarian Quinoa Stuffed Peppers November 22, 2015
- Home (72070 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (41888 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (33629 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (19603 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (14561 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (14203 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (14058 Views)
- Easy Crockpot Recipes for Turkey Breast (12750 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (12356 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (11241 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013