Memorial Day Poem The sun and blue skies soar above the World War II Memorial and display the wreaths of honor placed on the columns. We remember.
This page is dedicated to the memory of those who died in the Nation’s service. They left behind loved ones, college dreams, great careers and a future because they believed in America. They traded it all for limited supplies, hot, cold, and bad weather, challenges beyond comprehension and lousy pay. They never asked to be remembered, these heroes of conflict and battle. It is important to remember so that we do not let our freedom slip away.
Remembrance Confirmed: A Memorial Day Poem
Flags fly at half-staff on this Memorial Day.
Who will remember or even take a moment’s time to pray?
Many men and women died in response to Freedom’s call.
Should we not remember then, dead soldiers, one and all?
A holiday declares recognition of those who gave their life
To protect our country: son, daughter, husband, wife.
Monuments of tribute, wreaths, flags, flowers across the land
Show that we remember the brave courageous band
Of military troops who gave up everything so that we
Could benefit from their sacrifice by remaining free.
A Short History of Memorial Day
Memorial Day was once known as Decoration Day. Memorial Day was set aside to remember those who died in the service of our country. On May 5, 1868, national commander General John Logan formalized recognition of the fallen on May 5, 1868. Flowers were left May 30 of the same year Confederate and Union soldiers’ graves at Arlington, a National Cemetery in Virginia.
After World War I, the holiday changed to honor any American whose death resulted from fighting a war in defense of our nation. The National Holiday Act of 1971 made Memorial Day a three day holiday weekend in May, observed on the last Monday. Once, the day blazed with patriotic fervor. Now it seems that it revolves around shopping, fireworks, short vacations, NASCAR, the Indy 500, and picnics. It is not so much that tradition has been forgotten, as it is that tradition has been changed.
Parents must teach flag etiquette, no longer allowed at many public schools. Take some time to tend to the graves of fallen soldiers. Leave a flag or flower to declare that you remember freedom is not free. Work to reinstate the Memorial Day parade in your town or attend the one provided. Lead by example. Stand at attention and remove your hat as the flag approaches and passes by. Please take a moment to remember.
Special Memorial Day Meals
Not everyone gets a Monday holiday on Memorial Day, so celebrate over the weekend. Barbecues are popular because the weather has finally changed to sunny and warm. When you check the Internet, you will find many recipes that celebrate the resurrection of the grill for spring, summer, and fall. If you do not have traditional Memorial Day foods yet, make this the year to start your new traditions. Try some of the following suggestions that make the most of your grill.
- Main Dishes from the Grill: Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Hamburgers, Vegetable Shish Kabob
- Veggies From The Grill: Fresh Asparagus, Corn on the Cob, Zucchini, Bell Peppers, Onions
- Grilled Accompaniments: French Bread, English Muffins, Hamburger Buns
- Sides From The Grill: Pizza, Yams, Potatoes
- Desserts From The Grill: Cherry Cobbler, Grilled Strawberries, Grilled Apricot Pie
Invite friends and neighbors for the celebration. Fly the flag. Request a moment of silence as you remember those sent to war with no return ticket.
Originally Published in Our Issue Issue #1 May 31, 2011 Newsletter
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76081 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43119 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36119 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25273 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (22369 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (19600 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19488 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (18044 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17573 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (15780 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013