Colored hard-boiled eggs are always popular at Easter, along with chocolate eggs. Baked ham with a brown sugar glaze is a traditional Easter food in the United States. Meat was slaughtered during the fall years ago before there was refrigeration, and any fresh pork not eaten during the winter months was cured for the springtime. The curing process took a while and the first hams were ready around the time of Easter, which is why ham made a natural choice for an Easter meal.
Roast lamb is another Easter food idea, especially in the UK, and this tradition goes back even earlier than Easter, to Passover, a Jewish holiday. The sacrificial lamb was roasted and eaten with bitter herbs and unleavened bread. Hebrews converted to Christianity and brought their traditions with them. Since Christians refer to Jesus as the Lamb of God, the Jewish traditions merged with the Christian ones.
There are many appetizers and side dishes which go nicely with roast ham, including baked or roasted potatoes, green beans, candied yams or sweet potatoes, or something chilled like a delicious strawberry and spinach salad, or some kind of chilled soup. Scalloped potatoes, grilled asparagus, potato salad, broccoli gratin or broccoli casserole, and deviled eggs are more ideas.
Easter is a springtime holiday, so spring foods like lamb, asparagus and other seasoning vegetables, as well as seasonal fruit, are likely to make an appearance on the Easter dinner table.
Easter Breads and Desserts
Herbed monkey bread, hot cross buns, and various Easter loaves are also popular at this time of year, as are chocolate eggs. If you have a favorite cake recipe or you like making cupcakes, why not decorate them with mini chocolate eggs?
You can make your Easter breads and desserts in advance, allowing you to focus on the baked ham and side dishes. The kids can help with the sweeter side of Easter food perhaps and, according to them, the best food on Easter Sunday is usually food of the sweet variety!
Easter Food around the World
Hot cross buns are popular in Britain, and the tradition comes from the ancient Anglo-Saxons who would bake little wheat cakes in honor of Eostre, the goddess of spring. After Paganism gave way to Christianity, the church substituted cakes with church-blessed sweetbreads. Similar sweet cakes include baba in Poland and babobka in the Czech Republic.
The Portuguese and Greeks serve flat, round loaves marked with a cross, and honey pastries are popular food on Easter holidays in Jordan and Syria. In the United States, Germany, Holland, and some other European countries the Easter bunny brings Easter baskets and chocolate eggs for the children and hides them around the house and garden for the kids to find.
Most countries feature egg dishes in some form or other, either colored hard-boiled eggs which often get turned into deviled eggs, decorated eggs with painted patterns or even sparkles or sequins on the shells, flavorful egg-based recipes such as asparagus quiche, and yummy chocolate eggs.
Originally Published in Our Issue #16 April 5, 2012 Newsletter
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 03-06-16
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76066 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43073 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36024 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25015 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (21939 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19274 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (19067 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (17899 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17373 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (15508 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013