Wine collecting for investment and consumption continues to be very popular. Storing and caring for your collection can be a concern. Standalone wine cellars are available to the homeowner who does not have the extra space to build their own cellar. Many wine enthusiasts have the space and choose to build a wine cellar in their home and equip it with the proper storage and technology components to insure proper temperatures, humidity, lighting, and individual bottle attention.
Proper Wine Storage
Bottles should be stored on their side so that the cork remains moist, and they should also not be exposed to vibration or temperature change. It should be maintained at a constant 50 to 55 degrees with a humidity rate of 70%.
Proper Temperature for Storing Wine
Temperature is most important; you should aim to keep it around 50 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. A lower temperature can help age the wine. If there are any fluctuations in the temperature, you should make sure that it happens slowly. As long as the temperature does not go too high and the fluctuations are slow, then your wine should be okay.
Proper Humidity for Storing Wine
The proper level of humidity for storing wine in a home wine cellar should be around 70%, although it is perfectly acceptable to keep it 10% above or below the 70% level. If you have too high humidity, the labels can easily rot or mold, which can affect the wine’s value. On the other hand, if the humidity goes too low, around 50%, the cork could shrink and bring air into the wine.
Other Useful Wine Cellar Storage Tips
You should also strive to keep the wine in a dark place, as lights can ruin any type of wine. Light causes the wine to age too fast, making it in your best interest to store wine in a dark location in a home wine cellar.
Storage in a proper location, such as a home wine cellar will also bring the best taste. In the world of wine, nothing is more disappointing than waiting several years to open a bottle of fine wine, only to find that it is nothing but vinegar. You can prevent this from happening though, by taking care of your wine by storing it in a proper home wine cellar.
We hope we have shown why the investment into a wine cellar is not only necessary but also a must if you want to protect your valuable wine collection. Wine cellars are not only for the true enthusiast but also even for the casual wine lover. Wine is very sensitive to the elements of heat, light, humidity and vibration and even the modest priced wines can take advantage of proper storage techniques.
Wine cellars are becoming a much more common thing to find in personal homes and not just wine establishments and fine restaurants anymore. A home wine cellars is a statement of your commitment to the finer things in life and nothing could be finer than a great bottle of wine to share with family and friends.
Wine Cellar Designs
Wine cellars can now be designed to fit almost any space in the home and are as much a statement of your taste as any other piece of fine furniture. Wine cellar designs can be done by a professional designer and you will be amazed at the number of choices when it comes to things such as types of woods, glass doors or not, and pretty much all aspects of your wine cellar or home wine cellars can be tailored to your individual style and taste. Once you have a design there are basically three ways you can precede.
Wine Cellar Construction How to Build a Wine Cellar
You have a few choices to make at this stage of the game: you can buy a ready-made wine refrigerator, have a custom wine cellar built by a professional contractor who specializes in wine cellar construction or you can take the build your own wine cellar route. Alternatively, there are also wine cellar kits available which might be a good alternative to the professionally installed way.
Depending on your budget, your comfort level with DIY projects and your time frame a professionally built unit might be the smart choice here. You can save a fair amount of money by building your own wine cellar but it is a fairly complex do-it-yourself project and should be left to the more seasoned home project people out there.
Here at Preferred Wine Cellars you will find interesting articles on wine cellars and a listing of wine cellars dealers in your local area. We have done a lot of the legwork for you so you can easily locate a contractor or wine cellar dealer near you quick and easily. We are adding new articles on a regular basis so why not take a minute to bookmark us in your favorite social bookmarking site and also add our RSS feed to your favorite online reader and get updates when new content, dealers or city listings are added quick and easy.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76066 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43073 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36024 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25016 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (21941 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19274 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (19070 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (17899 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17376 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (15509 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013