Hydroponics means plants are grown in a growing medium and the nutrients are delivered in a soluble form. The growing medium might be coconut fiber, rockwood, perlite, sand, gravel, or something else. Using a growing medium and feeding the plants in a soluble way means the asparagus can be fed easily, unlike when it is in the soil outdoors where the roots have to search for food and extract the nutrients.
How It Works
The energy saved by the plant is spent instead on growth. Hydroponic asparagus will give greater yields and the plants will be larger and grow faster. The point of hydroponic asparagus growing is that you are giving the plant exactly what it needs, in the right amounts. It is much more difficult to control soil in the same way as you can control a hydroponic system.
Controlling the pH of the growing medium is as important as controlling the pH of the soil if you are growing non-hydroponically. Without the correct pH, the plants will not be able to extract nutrients.
What Else Can You Grow Hydroponically?
Anything that will grow in your garden will grow in a hydroponics system, and examples include beans, beets, onions, peas, spinach, raspberries, melons and more. You can also grow most flowers and herbs hydroponically.
You should carefully consider learning how to grow hydroponic asparagus and if you really want to. Because asparagus plants are biennials, you will have to move your whole garden indoors (or lose the plants) in the winter if the temperatures drop below freezing. If you live somewhere with a year-round warm climate, you will not have to consider this potential problem. Hydroponic asparagus is a great idea, if you have the right conditions for it.
Disadvantages of Hydroponics
Although growing asparagus with hydroponics can be a good idea because you can grow the plants anywhere and there is less work to do, there are also disadvantages. Hydroponic growing is very easy but that does not mean it is a suitable growing method for everybody. You should think carefully about whether you are willing to invest the time and effort into it first. You might be better off planting your asparagus in the garden rather than choosing a hydroponic asparagus farm.
The main disadvantage with growing hydroponic asparagus is the initial cost. This is quite high so a hydroponic farmer might be limited to growing crops which either have a rapid turnover or give a high return. Also, you cannot start growing plants hydroponically without the proper training or knowledge. You need to learn the principles of plant nutrition and how to operate a commercial hydroponics system, to allow you to be able to successfully manage a hydroponics farm. Unfortunately, the failure rate is very high for amateurs who do not familiarize themselves enough with the basics of hydroponic growing.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (75339 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (42676 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (35046 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (23010 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (18214 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (17410 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (16540 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (15669 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (14999 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (14968 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013