There are so many different easy crockpot recipes you can make and not a lot that you cannot cook in the crockpot. Some foods are unsuitable for long cooking times and there are a few ingredients you need to take extra care with, when making crockpot food.
Slow Cooking Fish and Seafood
For example, a lot of people think you cannot cook seafood in a slow cooker but that is not technically true. Seafood will overcook and have a rubbery texture unless you add it during the last hour of cooking time.
If you are adding fish or seafood which is already cooked, for example canned tuna or cooked shrimp, these only need to warm through, so throw them in for the last twenty or thirty minutes of cooking time. Remember these ingredients cook or heat up faster if you are using the high or medium setting on the slow cooker, rather than the low one.
Tender Vegetables in the Crockpot
The same applies to tender vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Add these during the final thirty or forty minutes, else they will go mushy and fall apart. The mushiness will not affect their flavor but it will affect the presentation of your dish and also the texture of it. Soggy vegetables might also make your crockpot recipe too watery.
Remember that liquids will not boil away in a crockpot. They cannot evaporate because the lid holds them in there, so if you are converting a recipe from the stove or oven to the crockpot, reduce the liquid by a third or half, unless you are making soup or cooking rice in there.
Take Care with Dairy Products
Add dairy products during the last half an hour, unless the recipe tells you otherwise. Milk curdles over long cooking times but you can add some sour cream or heavy cream in the final hour of cooking instead. Evaporated milk is a good alternative.
Natural cheeses break down, so either add them at the end of the cooking time or use a processed cheese instead, such as Velveeta. Spices lose their flavor if they are cooked for too long so add these during the last hour.
Pasta should be cooked beforehand and added to the crockpot during the final half an hour of cooking time. If you are converting a stovetop recipe for crockpot cooking, cook the pasta on the stove and then add it. Tabasco sauce and cayenne pepper are used in many crockpot recipes but they go bitter if you cook them for a long time, so do not add much, and add these ingredients near the end of the cooking time.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken in a Crockpot?
The answer to this question is not clear-cut; some people are happy to cook frozen food like frozen chicken in a slow cooker and others would not do it. If you wash your chicken well before cooking it, to remove any bacteria, it ought to be fine in whichever recipe you make.
If you cook the chicken on a low setting for ten hours, it will be cooked through and any bacteria will have died. If you use your crockpot’s high setting instead, the outside will be done but the inside might not be quite ready, so if you are using frozen chicken, you should cook it for a long time on low, else thaw it in the microwave before you begin.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76081 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43119 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36116 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25273 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (22369 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (19599 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19487 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (18044 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17572 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (15779 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013