Pork ribs come out beautifully in the crockpot and you can make delicious meals like crockpot Korean style short ribs or tender and tangy ribs once you know how to slow cook them perfectly. You need to choose some pork ribs without too much fat on because fat and slow cooking do not go together well. Pork baby back ribs work well.
Browning the Pork Ribs
Heat a little oil in a skillet, just enough to coat the pan, and once it is hot enough, and the oil has started to ripple a little bit, put the ribs in. Brown them on one side, adding a little salt and pepper. This will take a few minutes.
When one side has browned, turn the ribs over and brown the other side, adding more salt and pepper. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Alternatively, you can broil them for half an hour to make them brown and crispy on the outside before slow cooking them to add tenderness and finish them off.
Ribs can be cooked up to three days before you put them in a crockpot and marinate them with sauce. If you want to prepare the ribs in advance, you should wrap them tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate them until you are ready to slow cook them.
Sauces for Crockpot Pork Ribs
Next, you need to make up a sauce. BBQ sauce, water and fruit juice work well together or you can use catsup with BBQ sauce or whatever it says in the crockpot ribs recipe. Hot sauce, brown sugar, coca cola, and vinegar are used in other crockpot ribs recipes, in varying combinations. General Tso’s Glazing Sauce is another great sauce if you want to know how to slow cook pork ribs that taste wonderful.
Pour some of the sauce into the crockpot, put the ribs on top of it and perhaps a sliced onion, and add the rest of the sauce. Cook on low for six to eight hours or until the meat is tender and will be pulling away from the bone. Pork needs to be at least 160 degrees F to be cooked through and to be tender.
Another great way to cook pork ribs in a crockpot is to season and brown them in the skillet then add sauerkraut juice to lift off any brown bits. Add that to the crockpot with the browned ribs and as much sauerkraut as you like, then cook for six to eight hours. Sauerkraut is shredded, fermented cabbage and you either love it or hate it! It comes in a jar and is popular in German in Dutch cooking. Pork ribs and sauerkraut makes a healthy meal and goes nicely with potatoes.
If you have been working all day and you get home to a wonderful dinner of slow cooked ribs, you can make a quick and easy side dish by sautéing some sliced, canned potatoes in butter and adding salt. Green beans also go well with pork ribs or if you are making oriental style ribs, white rice is a winner.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76079 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43113 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (36104 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (25244 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (22322 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (19525 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19461 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (18028 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17552 Views)
- Recipes for Panini Sandwiches (15749 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013