Slow cookers are handy machines and you cannot get the slow-cooked flavor or texture using an oven or microwave but, like most things, slow cookers occasionally go wrong. If your machine is no longer covered by the warranty or you got it second hand, what do you do when this happens? Can crockpot pottery be repaired and will it still be safe to use? Can you learn how to fix a cracked crockpot?
Crockpots are fairly simple and there is not much that can go wrong with them. This small appliance has a heating element, a metal shell and a ceramic pot. The Nichrome wire element encircles the metal liner and this is how heat is distributed around the crock. The low, steady temperature and tight lid cook the food evenly and reduce evaporation. Most slow cookers have a removable crock so you can clean it more easily. Unfortunately, this also means you can drop it on the floor more easily!
Slow Cooker Troubleshooting
Actually not that much can go wrong with a crockpot. The heating element or thermostat might be faulty, the crock might crack, or the cord might need to be replaced. Apart from that, this simple little machine usually works quite well.
When using your slow cooker, leave it on a surface, which can withstand spills, just in case. The low cooking temperatures mean that boiling over is unlikely to happen but it is better to be safe than sorry. If the crockpot does not heat, check the electrical cord, appliance controls, and heating element. Service the heating element like a switch, replacing it if it is faulty.
If the slow cooker only heats on one temperature, test the thermostat and switch. Also, test the heating element in case it needs to be replaced. If the slow cooker leaks, replace the crock. If the crockpot overheats, check the thermostat and replace it if it is faulty. If the controls or element are damaged beyond repair, buying a new crockpot might be the cheapest thing to do.
Can Crockpot Pottery Be Repaired?
If you do drop your crock, it might crack, break, or chip. In all of these instances, you will need to replace the crock. A cracked or broken crockpot cannot be glued together because the heat from cooking will dissolve the glue and a chipped crock will eventually break.
Even if it doesn’t the crack might mean the lid no longer seals well and the liquid from your crockpot recipes might evaporate, resulting in dried-out dishes rather than the delicious slow cooker recipes you had in mind. Take care with your crockpot liner but, if it does break, you can usually order a replacement online or find one in your local kitchen supply store.
Can Stoneware from a Crockpot Be Used in the Oven?
A lot of people ask, “can I put ceramic insert in the oven crockpot” and we do not recommend this. Some people report that they often put a crockpot ceramic insert in the oven without problems but slow cooker inserts are not designed for this use. Crockpot inserts warm up gradually when you turn the crockpot on and they never go above a certain temperature.
An oven is hot when you put the stoneware into it, which might cause cracking, and they get a lot hotter than slow cookers. Why take the risk? Replacement crockpot inserts are expensive to replace and you can use a Pyrex dish or an ovenproof casserole dish in the oven instead.
- Easy Grilled Eggplant with a Basil Tomato Salsa June 11, 2016
- Memorial Day Poem and Remembrance May 30, 2016
- The Updates Continue Notes from Site Owner Christine May 29, 2016
- How to Grill Vegetables for Perfect Results Every Time May 10, 2016
- How to Make the World’s Best Hamburger Recipes Guaranteed April 24, 2016
- Cleaning Barbecue Grills April 14, 2016
- A Few New Asparagus Ideas April 1, 2016
- How Do I Boil Easter Eggs? March 26, 2016
- How to Cook a Spiral-Sliced Ham March 12, 2016
- Traditional Easter Food and Easter Recipes March 6, 2016
- Romanian Baked Potato and Ham Recipe February 28, 2016
- Easy Cupcake Recipes to Make at Home February 11, 2016
- Valentine Recipe for Kids February 8, 2016
- Romantic Valentine Cupcake Recipe February 2, 2016
- Clever and Creative Valentine Food January 24, 2016
- Sensational Superbowl Party Food Ideas January 22, 2016
- Cheese and Tomato Mini Pizza Recipe January 20, 2016
- Pizza Makes Perfect Comfort Food January 19, 2016
- Home (76014 Views)
- Grilled Chicken Sliders Recipe (43028 Views)
- Overnight Crockpot Oatmeal with Cinnamon and Vanilla (35896 Views)
- How to Make the Best Homemade French Fries (24758 Views)
- Popular Breakfast Foods (21439 Views)
- Homemade Gravy Recipes (19032 Views)
- Different Curry Regions (18558 Views)
- Easy Cold Pasta Salad Recipes (17693 Views)
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken Recipe (17143 Views)
- Swedish Meatballs Recipe (15345 Views)
- Different Curry RegionsFebruary 19, 2015
- A Guide to Essential Herbs for CookingFebruary 3, 2015
- RecipeographySeptember 4, 2014
- Wine Cellars More Then Just Wine StorageJuly 7, 2014
- Basic Wine Cellars - What to Look ForJuly 7, 2014
- An Introduction to Wine CollectingJuly 7, 2014
- Order Wine OnlineJuly 7, 2014
- Tips for Making the Best Cheeseburger RecipesNovember 16, 2013
- Good Crockpot RecipesNovember 2, 2013
- Orange Oil - The Vibrant OilOctober 1, 2013